INTERNSHIP 101: WEEK ONE

I was sitting in a coffee shop yesterday, chatting away about the mind blowing week I had.
If you're not following me on Twitter (you should, I'm funny I promise) you probably don't know I am currently a Fashion Desk Intern at The Times (Right?!?)

I've been waiting to start this internship since it got confirmed at the beginning of last summer – I know, it's practically been ages!
However, I would have never expected it to be so intense, overwhelming and yet fun as it has turned out to be.



As it's only two weeks long, I decided I would push myself as much as possible, trying to help and do whatever they need me to do. Good impressions are important, especially when working for such a big publication which probably employs thousands of interns every year. I wanted to be unforgettable, I wanted to show them I've got what it takes and that I'm good at what I do.

From transcribing interviews to tidying the fashion cupboard – I've surely done a lot of things this past week. And I've loved every second of it.
How did my anxiety take it, you might ask? Well, it hasn't been easy.

Last Sunday night I basically lied awake waiting for the alarm to go off just so that I could do something that wasn't thinking about what I had to do, what was expected of me and, most importantly, how early I had to leave to not get lost (spoiler alert: I did not get lost and I did just fine).
On Monday morning I got dressed, then changed my mind, then tried some more clothes on, changed my mind again... You get the point. My friends probably hated me when they realised I was bombarding them with text messages, concerns and photos of outfits.

As usual, my anxiety made me get there extremely early – as in more than 40 minutes early, which of course did not calm me down in the slightest. I swear I can never win!
But, after I went through all this trouble, felt scared, nervous, anxious and overwhelmed, I still managed to pull myself together, took control of the situation and had one of the best weeks I've ever had!

Writing this today knowing that tomorrow I get to do this all over again, just makes me feel extremely lucky. I've worked my arse off to get this internship (and the three others I have planned!) and I couldn't be more proud of myself for doing it. I haven't let my anxiety take the best of me, I didn't give up and I am just so bloody excited to go back tomorrow.

If three years ago someone would have told me in three years time I would have intern for The Times where I would do what I love for two weeks straight I would have never believed them. Good things come to those who work for them – and I can't wait to see what this week has in store for me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment